Engaging Our Customers
As advocates of charity, service and responsibility, perhaps our most powerful tool is the ability to influence others. American Airlines touches the lives of millions of people every day. To the greatest degree possible, it is our mission and responsibility to engage our stakeholders in acts of giving. Our customers, in particular, have responded with incredible enthusiasm to our fundraising initiatives with Komen, UNICEF the USO and many other partners. Yet we must always seek new and improved methods to drive customer involvement for the causes we support.
In 2011, American’s customer generously gave over $7.3 million in cash and miles. Giving efforts included:
- Miles for Kids in Need: Since 1989 AAdvantage members have generously donated miles to help kids in need. In 2011 alone, members donated close to 117 million of their unused AAdvantage miles, which helped hundreds of children’s organizations.
- UNICEF: Over the past 17 years, American Airlines flight attendants and Admirals Club employees known as “Champions for Children” have collected more than $7.5 million in unused currency and donations from customers to support UNICEF programs for children worldwide.
Susan G. Komen for the Cure
- Miles for the Cure: Began in 2008, AAdvantage members have the opportunity to be rewarded with bonus miles by supporting American's Miles for the Cure campaign, which supports a research grant at M.D. Anderson in Houston, Texas.
- Komen Gift Card: For every $50 of travel purchased via the gift card, American donates $5 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. American Airlines/Komen for the Cure gift cards are available in denominations from $50 to $1,500, and can be applied toward any published fare on any American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection carrier; or any oneworld partner or codeshare flight (designated as American Airlines).
Military and Veterans' initiatives
- Miles in Support of All Who Serve: Since World War II, the USO has been a steadfast supporter of military personnel and their families around the world. AAdvantage members will be rewarded 10 AAdvantage bonus miles for each dollar donated through American’s Miles In Support of All Who Serve campaign, which supports USO programs.
- USO Gift Card: When you give the gift of travel and select the USO Gift Card, American will give $5 for every $50 of travel you purchase to help support the many USO programs and services.
- In 2011 AAdvantage members donated over $1.8 million to aid victims of earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados, and wildfires around the world. For every donation of $50 or more to the American Red Cross, members were awarded 250 AAdvantage miles, or 500 AAdvantage miles for donations of more than $100.
For more information on the positive impacts of our customers' contributions, visit JoinUs.AA.com.