Information is current as of
There are currently no travel policies in effect. Learn more about circumstances that could affect schedules, airport operations, parking by selecting the Travel Notices tab.
Flight Number Changes
As part of ongoing preparations for our proposed merger with US Airways, we are implementing changes to our flight numbers to accommodate the US Airways flights to be added to our network as a combined carrier. The first phase of this change will roll out on all flights operated by American Eagle and ExpressJet beginning June 12 and will appear on aa.com and other reservation systems on May 5. Flight dates and times will remain the same, and no action is required on your part.
Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Prohibitive Items Update
TSA's recently announced changes to its Prohibited Items list, including allowing small pocket knives on aircraft, has been temporarily delayed. For more information visit tsa.gov.
Guidelines For Lithium Batteries
Passengers wishing to carry spare lithium batteries for devices such as laptops, cell phones and cameras are required to pack them in their carry-on baggage with the terminals covered/insulated. For safety, we recommend that you remove batteries from devices in your checked bags and place them in your carry-on in separate plastic bags.
Damaged batteries will not be accepted for transport.
Batteries for automobiles, boats or aircraft will not be accepted for transport.
Please see visit the Safe Travel website
for tips on traveling with spare batteries.
Location Specific Information
The following locations may experience irregular operations due to circumstances described below. Please check www.aa.com/gates for updated information. Also, please check our Suggested
Arrival Times page to allow enough time to arrive at the airport before your departure.
- Atlanta, GA (ATL) - Effective May 16, 2012, American Airlines nonstop codeshare flights operated by British Airways (referenced on tickets as AA*) from Atlanta to London departs from the new Maynard H. Jackson Jr. International Terminal. Visit the Hartsfield-Jackson website for information including transportation and parking.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) - If you're a U.S., Canadian or Australian citizen, you are now required to pre-pay your Argentina Entry Fee prior to departure for Buenos Aires. The Entry Fee is valid for 10 years. Please visit the Argentina Entry Payment Site to pre-pay the fee and print your receipt as proof of payment required for entry into Argentina.
Because the government of Argentina will deny entry to passengers arriving without the payment receipt, you will not be allowed to board without the pre-paid receipt or passport sticker indicating that payment was made.
NOTE: Customers traveling to Argentina holding a passport from the United States, Canada or Australia are required to check in at the airport.
- Cincinnati, OH (CVG) - On May 15, 2012, American Eagle / AmericanConnection® service moved from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3.
- Dallas/Fort Worth, TX (DFW)
- The Terminal Renewal and Improvement Program is underway. Visit the DFW Airport website for up-to-date information on facility and garage changes.
- There are highway and ramp closures around DFW Airport. Visit the Texas Department of Transportation Lane Closure page for information.
- Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL) - Baggage for confirmed flights may only be accepted up to four hours prior to confirmed departure.
- Honolulu, HI (HNL) - Beginning March 17, 2013, please arrive two and a half hours prior to your flight as some security checkpoints may be consolidated or closed due to the government spending cuts (sequestration).
- Mexico (all cities) - In compliance with Mexican law, U.S. dollars may not be used for payment at airport ticket counters or travel centers. Accepted forms of payment include Mexican pesos, valid credit cards and traveler's checks.
- New York Kennedy (JFK) - Please allow extra time when departing New York Kennedy due to ongoing terminal construction.
- Orlando, FL (MCO) - Baggage for confirmed flights may only be accepted up to four hours prior to confirmed departure.
- Paris, France (CDG) - American Airlines now operates out of Terminal 2C..
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (GIG) - Due to airport renovation in preparation for the Olympics, American Airlines has moved to Terminal 2.
- San Diego, CA (SAN) - Please allow extra time when visiting San Diego due to construction at Terminal 2, which is expected to last through early 2013. During the construction, it may take longer than usual to arrive, park, get to the terminal and check in.
- San Francisco, CA (SFO) - Please allow extra time for rental car returns due to their remote location.
- Santa Ana/Orange County/John Wayne, CA (SNA) - Parking is limited at the airport. Please arrive early in order to find a parking space.
- Santa Barbara, CA (SBA) - Due to construction of the new terminal, unforeseen service interruptions may occur.
- Tucson, AZ (TUS) - For departures prior to 8:00 a.m. please arrive at least 90 minutes early due to long security lines.
- Venezuela (CCS, MAR) - The Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is unable to determine whether Venezuelan airports that serve as the last point of departure for non-stop flights to the United States, maintain and carry out effective aviation security measures in accordance with the standards and appropriate recommended practices established by the International Civil Aviation Organization /ICAO/.
- Washington D.C. Dulles (IAD) - Please arrive at least one hour early due to mid-field terminal departures.