Environmental, social and governance
Effective management of ESG matters is fundamental to our business
We know that leadership and effective management of environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues are critical to the long-term success of American and the vitality of our planet. We strive to provide clear, transparent information about how we manage and address the range of ESG issues we encounter in our business.
Maintaining robust governance practices is and has been a long-standing priority for American, and we regularly assess and refine our corporate governance policies and procedures to take into account evolving best practices.
- Annual Report Opens another site in a new window that may not meet accessibility guidelines.
- Board of Directors
- Board Committees
- Board Code of Ethics
- Governance principles Opens a document in a new window
- Statement on Public Policy Engagement and Political Participation Opens a PDF document in a new window
Ethics and human rights
Building a great airline requires a strong commitment to our customers, team members, shareholders and business partners. This commitment is founded on a value system we all share, one based on integrity, honesty, and the commitment that every decision we make is a responsible and ethical one.
- Combating human trafficking
- Ethics helpline for team members, vendors and contractors Opens another site in a new window that may not meet accessibility guidelines.
- Human Rights Statement Opens a document in a new window
- Standards of Business Conduct for Employees Opens a document in a new window
- Standards of Business Conduct for Suppliers Opens a document in a new window
Sustainability and climate change
We recognize that air travel impacts the environment, and we are committed to minimizing those impacts. Climate change, in particular, is a pressing issue, and we support the industry’s ambitious targets to mitigate CO2 emissions from air travel -- but we also know that we have to do more to reduce our carbon footprint.
- 2019 – 2020 ESG Report Opens a PDF document in a new window.
- CDP Response, 2020 Opens a document in a new window.
- Corporate Responsibility Report Archive Opens another site in a new window that may not meet accessibility guidelines.
- Environmental data, 2019 Opens a document in a new window
- Offset the carbon emissions of your flight Opens a document in a new window.
Our goal is to create a consistent and exceptional experience for customers across our network, and we have invested billions in new products and services, both on the ground and in the air.
Making culture a competitive advantage at American means creating an environment that cares for our team members, invests in their development and provides industry-leading benefits.
Diversity, equity and inclusion
We strive to be a place where people of all generations, races, ethnicities, genders, sexual orientations, gender identity, disabilities, religious affiliations and backgrounds feel welcome and valued.
We work to give back to our communities through volunteerism and support for nonprofits that help children, communities and military service members.