Breeze Through Customs at Chicago O'Hare
Improving your international travel experience
With the new 1-Stop program at Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD), you can enjoy a more expedient Customs process when you travel with only carry-on baggage.
What is the 1-Stop program and to whom does it apply?
The 1-Stop program streamlines your entry process and is available to all travelers who arrive at
Chicago O'Hare International Terminal 5 with proper documentation and only carry-on bags. These special 1-Stop lanes are open daily between 1:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
How does 1-Stop work?
If you are not checking baggage, you can:
- Skip baggage claim and the regular inspection areas by accessing a designated lane for 1-Stop Customs processing
- Stop at U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) where an officer will process your entry into the United States and direct you to a special exit
What is Automated Passport Control (APC)?
To further improve your customs experience, Chicago O'Hare recently introduced the Automated Passport Control (APC) program.
The Automated Passport Control program is designed to help U.S. passport holders move more quickly through the U.S. border clearance process by entering information at a self-service kiosk. As an added bonus, this service is free and you are not required to pre-register.
How can APC benefit you?
- Shorter wait times
- No paper declaration form to complete
- Less congestion
- Faster Customs processing
How does APC work?
U.S. citizens are able to bypass the paper declaration card process when arriving. Instead of filling out the declaration card and taking your travel documents to a CBP officer, eligible travelers will:
- Proceed directly to a self-service kiosk in the U.S. Customs and Border Protection area
- Follow the on-screen instructions to scan your U.S. passport
- Answer the customs declaration questions using the touch screen. Your picture will also be taken and you will receive a confirmation receipt with your picture
- Stop at a CBP booth for verification
With both the 1-Stop program and Automated Passport Control, your international travel experience at Chicago O'Hare will be a breeze!