Need to change the name on your AAdvantage account? To support the TSA's Secure Flight initiative, it’s best to use the name that appears on the government-issued photo ID you use when you travel. In many cases, you may handle your update via the My Account section or via AAdvantage Customer Service. See below to learn how to update the name on your AAdvantage account.
Changes Available via the My Account Section
You may make a one-time change to the first and/or middle name of your AAdvantage account when you also store your Secure Flight Information at My Account.
Changes Available via AAdvantage Customer Service
If your first and/or middle name is no longer editable at the My Account section or if you wish to update your prefix or suffix, then AAdvantage Customer Service may* be able to assist. To initiate your request, send an email to AAdvantage Customer Service or call AAdvantage Customer Service (1-800-882-8880; ask for AAdvantage Accounts). You will need:
- Your name as it appears on your AAdvantage account today
- The reason your name is changing
- The name you would like to appear on your account
- Your date of birth and gender
Examples of name corrections/changes available in most cases* via AAdvantage Customer Service:
- Correcting misspelled or abbreviated names
- Adding, deleting or expanding a first or middle name/initial
- Reversing middle/first names or first/last names
- Adding or changing a prefix or suffix
- Changing a hyphenated name to any of its variations
Changes Available via Written Request with Supporting Documentation
All last name changes, as well as any other changes that cannot be handled via My Account or AAdvantage Customer Service, require a written request and supporting legal documentation. Please submit these requests via FAX to the American Airlines AAdvantage Department at 817-963-7882.
* American Airlines / AAdvantage reserves the right at its discretion to require written legal documentation for any name change request received (including: marital status, military titles, titles and suffixes, nicknames, hyphenated names to any of its variations, inverted name changes, misspelled names, etc).