Preferred seats and Main Cabin Extra
- Preferred seats and Main Cabin Extra are on select flights operated by American Airlines and American Eagle and subject to availability.
- Seats are non-transferable and valid only on the flight purchased.
- We reserve the right to discontinue the sale of seats or refuse to sell seats to a passenger.
- Fees, rules and benefits are subject to change without notice.
Fees for seats are non-refundable with some exceptions.
- We make every effort to ensure you get your chosen seat, but seat assignments are not guaranteed.
- We reserve the right to change seats for operational, safety or security reasons.
- You must check in at least 30 minutes before departure and be at the gate 15 minutes before departure or you may lose your seat.
When we'll issue a refund for seats (no request needed)
We'll issue you a refund if:
- We cancel your flight.
- You pay to upgrade to First or Business.
- You pay more for another seat on the same flight (but not if you change to a lower priced or free seat).
When you can request a refund for seats
You can request a refund online if you paid for seats and you:
- Cancel your flight, rebook, and pay for seats on your rebooked flight.
- Cancel your flight within 24 hours and booked at least 7 days before departure.
You can also request a refund if we cancel and rebook you on another flight, cause you to miss a connection or deny boarding on an oversold flight and we're unable to get you a like seat, for example if we move you from:
- Main Cabin Extra to a preferred or other seat in the Main Cabin
- Main Cabin Extra aisle / window to Main Cabin Extra middle
- Preferred to a non-preferred seat
- Preferred aisle / window to preferred middle seat
Keep in mind you need to submit separate refund requests for your flights, seats and other purchases.
Request a refund