Earn miles, earn points, earn status
The AAdvantage® program keeps getting better. You now earn miles and Loyalty Points when you fly, use an AAdvantage® credit card for purchases, or engage with AAdvantage® partners. Redeem AAdvantage® for your next trip or other great offers. Plus, your Loyalty Points count toward earning status and additional benefits when you fly.
More opportunities for Loyalty Points
Earn when you fly, and when you buy
Traveling on status-qualifying airlines
Fly on American Airlines, American Eagle®, any oneworld® airline and other partner airlines.
AAdvantage® credit card purchases
American Airlines AAdvantage® credit card members will earn one Loyalty Point for every one eligible AAdvantage® mile earned from purchases using their U.S. or internationally-issued AAdvantage® credit card.
AAdvantage® eShoppingSM, AAdvantage DiningSM, SimplyMiles™ & more
Shop, dine, travel and more with our partners and watch your miles and savings add up faster.
How many Loyalty Points do you need to earn AAdvantage® status?
Gold®30,000 Loyalty Points
Platinum®75,000 Loyalty Points
Platinum Pro®125,000 Loyalty Points
Executive Platinum®200,000 Loyalty Points
Level up faster with status mileage bonuses
Status members earn additional miles on base flight miles earned when traveling with American and our partners, helping to re-qualify faster with additional Loyalty Points.
- AAdvantage® Member Earns 5 miles per dollar
- AAdvantage Gold® Earns 7 miles per dollar, a 40% bonus
- AAdvantage Platinum® Earns 8 miles per dollar, a 60% bonus
- AAdvantage Platinum Pro® Earns 9 miles per dollar, a 80% bonus
- AAdvantage Executive Platinum® Earns 11 miles per dollar, a 120% bonus
Opportunity to earn Loyalty Choice Rewards
If you qualify for AAdvantage Platinum Pro® or higher and fly a minimum of 30 eligible flights, you'll unlock Loyalty Choice Rewards.
- Level 1 125,000
- Level 2 200,000
- Level 3 350,000
- Level 4 550,000
- Level 5 750,000
Admirals Club® One Day Pass
AAdvantage® bonus miles
Systemwide upgrades and more
AAdvantage® Status Estimator
Estimate your status and how many Loyalty Points you'll earn via qualifying flights, purchases on AAdvantage® credit cards and eligible spending with AAdvantage® partners in the upcoming qualifying year.
- AAdvantage® Member
- AAdvantage Gold®
- AAdvantage Platinum®
Calculation assumes 1 AAdvantage® base mile earned per US$1 spent on purchases with a U.S. or internationally-issued American Airlines AAdvantage® credit card. Learn more about the base mileage earn on your card.
AAdvantage® base miles earned through non-airline partners such as AAdvantage® eShopping™, AAdvantage DiningSM, car rentals, and hotel stays.
Explore the benefits of AAdvantage® status
- AAdvantage Gold® benefits:
- 1 free checked bag
- Preferred seats
- Group 4 boarding
- AAdvantage Platinum® benefits:
- 2 free checked bags
- Complimentary Main Cabin Extra
- Group 3 boarding
- AAdvantage Platinum Pro® benefits:
- 3 free checked bags
- Group 2 boarding
- Complimentary upgrades
- AAdvantage Executive Platinum® benefits:
- 3 free checked bags
- Group 1 boarding
- Complimentary Upgrades
Track your status March through February
Learn about the new qualification qualifying year
Earn Loyalty Points annually from March through the following February
Instead of using a calendar year for qualifications, you'll qualify for status based on the Loyalty Points posted to your account for the 12-month period starting on March 1 of each year. Now, the AAdvantage® status membership year will be valid through March 31 of each year.
Double dip in January - February 2022
Eligible qualifying activity in January and February of 2022 will count toward earning both 2022 and 2023 status – giving you an extra 2 months to earn status for both years.
It's all in the American Airlines app
Download the American Airlines app for free and use it to track your status and manage your travel – from booking a trip and selecting a seat, to getting your boarding pass and accessing airport maps.
Frequently asked questions
What are Loyalty Points?
Loyalty Points is how AAdvantage® members will track their qualification toward reaching AAdvantage® status.
How do I earn Loyalty Points?
As an AAdvantage® member, you'll earn Loyalty Points as you earn eligible AAdvantage® miles. One eligible AAdvantage® mile equals one Loyalty Point.
Which AAdvantage® miles count toward earning Loyalty Points?
In the air: Base miles earned from flying on Loyalty Point-qualifying airlines (flights marketed by American Airlines, oneworld® airlines, JetBlue, and GOL Airlines). This includes:
- Basic Economy tickets on American
- All status bonuses earned when flying on American Airlines and eligible partner airlines
On everday spend: Base miles earned from eligible partners. Base offers vary by partner and eligible partners:
- Portals: American Airlines Vacations, AAdvantage® eShoppingSM, AAdvantage DiningSM, SimplyMiles™
- Hotels: American Airlines Hotels, Hyatt, Marriott International, IHG Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Vacations, RocketMiles
- Cars: American Airlines Cars, Avis, Budget, Payless, Hertz, Dollar, Thrifty, Alamo, National, Sixt
- Cruise: bookaacruises.com
- Retail: Shell, NRG Energy, Reliant Energy, Xoom, Miles for Opinion
For American Airlines AAdvantage® credit cardmembers, eligible AAdvantage® miles include the base miles earned on eligible purchases using your AAdvantage® credit card, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators
- Base miles earned vary by credit card type and issuing bank. For example, most AAdvantage® credit cards earn 1 base mile per US$1 spent on eligible purchases, but some earn .5 base miles per $1 spent, others 1.5 miles or 2 miles, etc.
- Every base mile equals one Loyalty Point
How do I earn Loyalty Points on flights marketed by oneworld® airlines vs flights marketed by American Airlines or JetBlue?
- Flights marketed by oneworld® airlines: Loyalty Point eligible miles include base miles earned according to the distance flown plus cabin bonuses where applicable. Both the base miles and cabin bonus miles earned will count toward Loyalty Points
- Flights marketed by American Airlines and JetBlue: Loyalty Point eligible miles include base miles earned according to the ticket price (excluding government-imposed taxes and fees). No cabin bonus applies.
- In the case of an exception – when you earn miles based on the distance flown (i.e. bulk fares, consolidator fares and cases when the ticket/fare details are not available at the time your flight is posted), a cabin bonus may apply. In that case, Loyalty Points will be determined according to the base miles earned and, if applicable, the cabin bonus.
How do I earn Loyalty Points from AAdvantage® eShoppingSM purchases?
- All base miles earned through eShopping purchases will count toward Loyalty Points. The rate at which you earn base miles via eShopping partners varies by store.
- For example, stores like Walmart, Apple and Best Buy currently earn 1 base mile per dollar spent whereas stores like Home Depot and Nike currently earn 4 base miles per dollar spent.
Which AAdvantage® miles do not count toward earning Loyalty Points?
- Bonus miles earned from special promotions
- Miles from Buy, Gift, Transfer transactions
- Government taxes, fees, and other charges associated with buying a ticket do not count toward earning AAdvantage® miles and do not count toward earning Loyalty Points
- Conversion of another program currency to AAdvantage® miles
- For AAdvantage® credit cards, “accelerators” or “multipliers” such as: extra miles for purchases in specific categories, with specific merchants (such as American Airlines purchases) or purchases made abroad
- AAdvantage® credit cards new account or welcome bonuses, spend bonuses, etc.
When do Loyalty Points take effect?
You'll start earning Loyalty Points on January 1, 2022. As a special thank you, you'll get an extra 2 months in 2022 (January 1, 2022 - February 28, 2022) to earn Loyalty Points toward qualifying for status in 2023. Going forward, the normal qualification period will start on March 1 each year.
When will I see Loyalty Points in my account?
The first date you'll see Loyalty Points in your account is March 1, 2022. Loyalty Points earned from eligible activity during January and February 2022 will appear in your account in early March 2022.
When will my current AAdvantage® status be extended?
- All members with loyalty status set to expire on January 31, 2022, have been extended to March 31, 2022. Your account already reflects this change.
- If you have already achieved status in the 2021 qualification year, the end date of that status will update to March 31, 2023, by the end of March 2022.
How does the January and February 2022 period work?
- From January 1 to February 28, 2022, members will have the opportunity to continue to earn EQMs, EQDs, and EQSs toward 2021 status qualification when flying on eligible airlines (American Airlines, oneworld®, JetBlue, and GOL Airlines).
- During the same period, members will also earn Loyalty Points toward the new program. Loyalty Points earned in January and February 2022 will be deposited into your account in early March 2022 and will count toward reaching status for 2023.
- If you earn the Loyalty Points needed for 2023 status between January and February 2022, you'll be granted status in early March 2022.
- If you qualify for AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® status, your counter for earning 500-mile upgrades - which normally resets on January 31 - will be extended to March 31, 2022.
What are the status qualification and membership year periods for the new program?
The status qualification year will start on March 1 and run through the last day of February.
- For example, in 2023, we'll restart your counter on March 1, 2023, and it will run through February 29, 2024.
- The membership year (when your status is valid) will take effect the date you qualify, or April 1 (whichever comes first) and be valid through March 31.
Purchases made with your AAdvantage® credit card will count based on the date the activity posts to your AAdvantage® account. All other flight and partner transactions will count based on the activity date of the flight or other transaction.
With EQDs going away, will Loyalty Points be used to determine my upgrade priority?
- Yes, beginning March 2022 we will use your 12-month rolling Loyalty Points value to determine your upgrade priority.
- 12-month rolling EQDs will continue to determine upgrade priority through February 2022.
- To thank our members who earned EQDs in 2021, your starting rolling 12-month Loyalty Points will be composed of a combination of your 12-month rolling EQD value as of March 1, supplemented with Loyalty Points as you earn them. As of March 1, 2023, the rolling 12-month Loyalty Points value used for upgrade priority will be solely composed of Loyalty Points.
- Boost/Renew purchases for 2022 status won't count towards status qualification or upgrade priority.
Are you making any changes to how I earn award miles?
No, you will continue to earn award miles as you do today. This includes the ability to earn miles based on the ticket price (excluding government-imposed taxes and fees) for flights marketed by American and JetBlue. Travel on all other partner airlines will continue to earn award miles based on the distance flown.
Will Loyalty Points count towards Million Miler℠ status?
No, Million MilerSM status will still be earned the same way as today, based on miles earned from flying with American and our partners.
What is changing with the Loyalty Choice Rewards offered to AAdvantage Platinum Pro® and AAdvantage Executive Platinum® members?
Elite Choice Rewards, now called Loyalty Choice Rewards, will require you to meet 2 thresholds to be eligible starting in March 2022:
- Qualify for AAdvantage Platinum Pro® status based on the new Loyalty Points requirement for that status
- Fly a minimum number of flight segments flown on Loyalty Point-qualifying airlines (flights marketed by American, oneworld® airlines, JetBlue and GOL Airlines) during the qualification period
American-marketed award travel will count toward reaching the minimum flight segment requirement.
Will the reward options available through Loyalty Choice Rewards be the same as those offered before?
We will continue to offer rewards like AAdvantage® bonus miles, systemwide upgrades, and Admirals Club® membership. You can view the 2022 Loyalty Choice Rewards options here.
Does the “double dipping” period help me qualify for the 2021 Elite Choice Rewards promotion?
Yes, if you meet the 2021 requirements to qualify for AAdvantage Platinum Pro®, AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, or reach the beyond AAdvantage Executive Platinum® thresholds in January or February 2022, you will be eligible for the 2021 Elite Choice Rewards.
Which AAdvantage® credit cards can earn Loyalty Points?
All Citi® / AAdvantage®, all AAdvantage® Aviator® and all AAdvantage® credit cards issued outside the U.S. are eligible.
Does my card activity count toward Million Miler℠ status?
Only flight activity contributes to Million MilerSM status. Neither AAdvantage® miles nor Loyalty Points earned through your card contribute to Million MilerSM status.
My AAdvantage® credit card offers the chance to earn additional EQMs or EQDs. What will happen to my benefit?
You are why we fly
Thank you for your loyalty.