Service animals

Flying on US Airways?

If one or more of your flights is on US Airways, learn about traveling with service animals on

Traveling with a service animal

Service animals are welcome on all flights. There are no additional charges for service animals traveling in the cabin.

To travel with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal, you’ll need to contact the Reservations desk of the airline operating your flight (American or US Airways) at least 48 hours before your flight and submit the required documentation.

Cabin rules

Seating options


To show that an animal is a service animal, you must provide (at least one of the following):

Emotional support or psychiatric service animals

To travel with an emotional support or psychiatric service animal in the cabin you must provide supporting documentation dated within 1 year of your scheduled flight. It must be from a licensed mental health professional or a medical doctor and state:

If we’re unable to validate your documentation or if you didn’t notify us at least 48 hours before your flight, the animal may need to be checked and travel in a kennel.

Destinations with restrictions

  • Hawaii

    All service animals traveling to Hawaii must have proper entry documents and comply with Hawaii’s import requirements. You’ll need to make necessary arrangements with Animal Quarantine (808-483-7151) before you travel. At check-in, customers must provide quarantine documentation for the animal to be allowed to enter Hawaii.

    Dogs and cats (service and emotional support animals) can travel in the cabin to/from Hawaii or directly to outer Hawaii Islands. All other animals must go through Honolulu first.

  • United Kingdom

    To travel with a cat or dog service animal, you'll need to get a pre-approval letter from the Animal Reception Center in your destination city. You’ll need to travel with the letter and any required health documentation.

  • Edinburgh, Scotland

    To travel with a cat or dog service animal, you’ll need to email Scotland’s animal travel agency at least 48 hours before your flight. You’ll also need to carry an ID card or valid certificate from the organization that trained or supplied the animal.

You may also like...