Checked bag policy
How many bags can you take?
Check up to 10 bags if your trip is:
Check up to 5 bags if you’re traveling to / through / from:
*There are seasonal and year-round bag restrictions
Weight and size
We calculate the size limits of your bag by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, length + width + height.
For all regions, your checked bag allowance is:
- Dimension: 62 in / 158 cm
- Weight: 50 lbs / 23 kgs
- For First / Business, weight is 70 lbs / 32 kgs
What will it cost?
In some cases, you won't have to pay the fees for up to 3 bags. If you qualify for complimentary bags based on elite status, the benefits are based on your highest status level at time of ticketing or check-in.
If your status level is:
- Higher at ticketing than at check-in, show your ticket receipt to the airport agent
- Lower at ticketing than at check-in, current benefits will automatically apply
1st checked bag is complimentary for:
- Eligible AAdvantage® Aviator® and Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmembers (on domestic American Airlines operated itineraries)
- AAdvantage® Gold
- oneworld® Ruby
- Confirmed Business customers*
- Confirmed Premium Economy customers
- El Salvador*
*1st bag fee applies for travel to San Salvador, El Salvador and Cali, Colombia to trips booked on / before January 9, 2018 for travel on June 20 - August 9, 2018 and December 8 -24, 2018 or for trips booked on / after January 10, 2018 for travel on June 15 - August 12, 2018 and December 8 -24, 2018.
1st and 2nd checked bags are complimentary for:
- AAdvantage® Platinum Pro
- AAdvantage® Platinum
- oneworld® Sapphire members
- Confirmed Business customers*
- Confirmed Premium Economy customers**
**$100 2nd bag fee applies to trips booked on or before November 12, 2017. $0 2nd bag fee applies to trips booked on or after November 13, 2017 (excluding Hawaii).
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- South Korea
1st, 2nd and 3rd checked bags are complimentary for:
- Confirmed First customers on 3-cabin aircraft
- AAdvantage® Executive Platinum
- oneworld® Emerald
- Active U.S. military and/or dependents with ID traveling on orders (1st - 5th bags free of charge)
- Active U.S. military with ID on personal travel
For bag fees, 'U.S.' refers to:
- Domestic U.S.
- U.S. Virgin Islands
- Puerto Rico
One-way to Cuba
Trips originating in the U.S. or Canada to Cuba pay the applicable 1st bag fee.
Round-trip to Cuba
Round-trips originating in the U.S. or Canada to Cuba:
- 1st bag and 2nd bag fees apply to Cuba
- 1st and 2nd bag free back to U.S.
One-way from Cuba
Standard-sized 1st and 2nd bags are free when departing Cuba
Round-trip from Cuba
Round-trips originating in Cuba to the U.S. or Canada:
- Standard-sized 1st and 2nd bags are free when departing Cuba
- Standard-sized 1st and 2nd bags are free when returning back to Cuba
|Region||Bag 1||Bag 2||Bag 3||Bag 4+|
|Central America (except Panama)||$30*||$40/$55**||$150||$200|
|South America (except Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, and Venezuela)||$0||$0||$150||$200|
Bag fee based on travel date and destination. Seasonal pricing applies to trips booked on / before January 9, 2018 for travel on June 20 - August 9, 2018 and December 8 - 24, 2018 or for trips booked on / after January 10, 2018 for travel on June 15 - August 12, 2018 and December 8 - 24, 2018.
*1st checked bag fee of $25 applies for tickets issued on or before September 20, 2018 and $30 for tickets issued on or after September 21, 2018. For travel to/from Cali, Colombia and El Salvador, the 1st bag fee applies seasonally.
**2nd checked bag fee of $35 applies for tickets issued on or before September 20, 2018 and $40 for tickets issued on or after September 21, 2018. For travel to/from Port au Prince, Haiti and Honduras, $55 2nd bag fee applies seasonally
^For travel to/from Brazil, 3rd and 4th checked bag fees are $85 for tickets issued on or before January 31, 2018, and $150 for tickets issued on or after February 1, 2018.
^^$60 1st bag fee applies to Transatlantic Basic Economy tickets
If your region is not listed, we can still help:
All bag fees are non-refundable and apply per person, each way. If you believe you've been incorrectly charged for bag fees, contact an American representative for help or file a refund claim within 45 days.
What else can you travel with?
There are some items that are only allowed in checked bags or your carry-on. Check to see how to pack and travel with restricted items.